FIRST STEPS has supported vulnerable women throughout at-risk pregnancies since 1991.
FIRST STEPS provides pregnant women with:
- referrals for medical care
- person-specific pre-natal education
- referrals to community resources
FIRST STEPS Statistics:
- more than 80 percent of FIRST STEPS clients are experiencing an unexpected pregnancy
- 9 percent of babies born in Colorado are pre-term
- Colorado has one of the highest low-birth weights in the nation
- Only 5 percent of babies born to FIRST STEPS clients were pre-term (in 2009)
FIRST STEPS Goals:
- healthy pregnancies, healthy mothers
- healthy deliveries, healthy babies
- healthy children
- healthy families
- expected pregnancies
Pre-term babies are at an increased risk for severe illness and death and are more likely to have long-term health problems and learning disabilities. Unexpected babies may be especially vulnerable to many of the non-medical factors influencing long-term health outcomes.
For more information on the FIRST STEPS program, please call (970) 350-4673.